- Wine flavored with spices.More example sentences
- By Chaucer's time, probably the best known of these spicy wines were hippocras and clary.
- This was often done at home and the most popular recipe was for ‘hippocras’, made with red or white wine.
- All of the spice bits were caught in the cloth, and the hippocras was poured into several glass jars.
late Middle English: from Old French ipocras 'Hippocrates' (see Hippocrates), translating medieval Latin vinum Hippocraticum 'Hippocratic wine' (because it was strained through a filter called a Hippocrates' sleeve).
More definitions of hippocrasDefinition of hippocras in:
- The British & World English dictionary