Definition of histamine in English:
A compound that is released by cells in response to injury and in allergic and inflammatory reactions, causing contraction of smooth muscle and dilation of capillaries.
- The allergic reaction causes the cells to release histamine, a chemical which prompts the sneezing and itching impulse.
- Quercetin reduces histamine degranulation and the subsequent release of histamine and inflammatory leukotrienes.
- Allergic reactions involve the release of histamine, a chemical that triggers inflammation and swelling.
- Example sentences
- This drug has minimal activity at histaminic, serotonergic, cholinergic or adrenergic receptor sites.
- Antipsychotics with lower potency have a greater affinity for histaminic, alpha-adrenergic and muscarinic receptors.
- Depending on the specific drug, there may be effects on muscarinic, adrenergic, or histaminic receptors.
Definition of histamine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan