Definition of histamine in English:
A compound that is released by cells in response to injury and in allergic and inflammatory reactions, causing contraction of smooth muscle and dilation of capillaries.
- The allergic reaction causes the cells to release histamine, a chemical which prompts the sneezing and itching impulse.
- Quercetin reduces histamine degranulation and the subsequent release of histamine and inflammatory leukotrienes.
- Allergic reactions involve the release of histamine, a chemical that triggers inflammation and swelling.
- Example sentences
- This drug has minimal activity at histaminic, serotonergic, cholinergic or adrenergic receptor sites.
- Antipsychotics with lower potency have a greater affinity for histaminic, alpha-adrenergic and muscarinic receptors.
- Depending on the specific drug, there may be effects on muscarinic, adrenergic, or histaminic receptors.
Words that rhyme with histaminedopamine • amphetamine
Definition of histamine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.