- (Of an initial letter in an illuminated manuscript) decorated with designs representing scenes from the text.More example sentences
- Numerous panels and illuminated miniatures or historiated initials survive and frequently appear on the art market.
- These, too, were the work of several artists working simultaneously on numbers of quires on details such as historiated initials.
- Interestingly in this context, a dove with a crown in his beak hovers right outside the opening and well-known historiated initial of Book I of Juliana's vita.
late 19th century: from French historié, past participle of historier in an obsolete sense 'illustrate', from medieval Latin historiare, from historia (see history).
More definitions of historiatedDefinition of historiated in:
- The British & World English dictionary