- The present tense used instead of the past in vivid narrative, especially in titles, such as The Empire Strikes Back, and informally in speech, e.g., “so I say to him.”.More example sentences
- It includes historic present, but for the moment no attempt is made to identify instances of this.
- In Bell's opinion the historic present in English is an exciting, but unusual, narrative strategy.
- This might only be a literary device or literary preference, since use of the historic present vivifies the action.
More definitions of historic presentDefinition of historic present in:
- The British & World English dictionary