- 1The theory that social and cultural phenomena are determined by history.More example sentences
- He explains Weber's transition from historicism to a historical social science.
- How new are cultural materialism and new historicism, for instance?
- To explicate this paradigm, the study, in addition to the tenets of border theory, draws on the insights of historicism and postcolonial theory.
- 1.1The belief that historical events are governed by laws.More example sentences
- The role of romance is to assimilate the ‘progress’ of society by naturalizing history via a certain kind of historicism.
- In other words, the primary structures Lukacs identified when criticizing the historicism of the naturalist novel could exist in artworks that portrayed no historical content whatsoever.
- I see a Wordsworthian version of Romantic historicism as self-reflexive, operating within the competing temporalities of modernity.
- 2The tendency to regard historical development as the most basic aspect of human existence.More example sentences
- Another dilemma for the human-rights project is the challenge of historicism and relativism.
- 3chiefly • derogatory (In artistic and architectural contexts) excessive regard for past styles.More example sentences
- Like architect Charles Moore, Smyth embraced overt historicism as a response to such a setting.
- He argued broadly as follows: Nineteenth-Century historicism had debased the currency of traditional architectural forms.
- This is historicism, and sits comfortably in the old modernist ‘hegemony’ Jencks thinks this is beyond.
- More example sentences
- Like Lukács, too, he is a Hegelian historicist for whom the art that matters is one flushed with the dynamic forces of its age.
- But while Hobbes was a rationalist, Machiavelli was an historicist.
- This is post-metaphysical historicism, after all, and what historicists do is narrate.
late 19th century: from historic, translating German Historismus.
More definitions of historicismDefinition of historicism in:
- The British & World English dictionary