Definition of hit on or upon in English:
1Discover or think of, especially by chance: she hit on a novel idea for fund-raising
More example sentences
- Substitute ‘fire’ for ‘water’ in Robbins' hypothesis and we may be hitting upon a parallel discovery.
- Whether it was by chance or design Sam Allardyce has hit upon the strike force he has craved all season.
- They hit upon the idea of creating a rare type of red hair dye and offering it for sale in small quantities.
2North American Make sexual advances toward.
- Introducing yourself to a woman you're hitting on is also considered basic good manners.
- Well according to two sources on the set of American Idol, the real reason Mario was asked to leave was because he was hitting on the girls of the show.
- It doesn't help that he looks about ten years older than he is, but I can just picture him as the creepy guy in the bar hitting on younger women.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia