• informal • dated
- A clumsy or awkward youth.More example sentences
- It listed the views of various members of Congress: not any old hobbledehoys either, but the party leaders, mostly Republican, whose support would be crucial to the political viability of any Pentagon plan.
- The true hobbledehoy is much alone, not being greatly given to social intercourse even with other hobbledehoys.
- He looked frankly what he was - a hobbledehoy - though he made great efforts to seem grown up.
adjectiveBack to top
mid 16th century: of unknown origin.
More definitions of hobbledehoyDefinition of hobbledehoy in:
- The British & World English dictionary