- 1(In mythology and fairy tales) a mischievous imp or sprite.More example sentences
- It is a time when the very mention of witches, gnomes, hobgoblins and ogres is enough to conjure up a fantasy world populated with a multitude of such creatures.
- It was a time when witches did mischief while spiteful fairies and hobgoblins roamed about.
- If people want to believe in tooth fairies, or leprechauns, or hobgoblins, or taniwha, or whatever, it is their right to do that.
- 1.1A fearsome mythical creature.More example sentences
- In his childhood Martin was afraid of the dark, of ghosts and hobgoblins, and his fear of attack by the threatening unknown later came to surface in his art.
- They danced around in masks scaring away all manors of demons and hobgoblins, and offered food for their dead's eternal rest.
- Imagination, then plays upon our fears when there is feeble light, making us see ghouls and hobgoblins in every shadow that moves.