Definition of hog plum in English:
A tropical tree that bears edible plumlike fruit, in particular.
- ● A Caribbean tree (also called yellow mombin) with yellow fruit (Spondias mombin, family Anacardiaceae). ● A tropical American tree (also called tallowwood) with bitter fruit and timber that is used as a sandalwood substitute (Ximenia americana, family Olacaceae).
- The fruit and flower of the hog plum occur right on the branches as opposed to hanging from the tips.
- Step 5: When all the moisture in the hog plums evaporates and the hog plums begin to curl up, shut off the flame.
- It is know under several regional names such as hog plum or yellow mombin and is commonly used as a human food source.
late 17th century: so named because the fruit is common food for hogs in the West Indies and Brazil.
Definition of hog plum in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan