(also hog-nosed snake)
Definition of hognose snake in English:
A harmless burrowing American snake with an upturned snout. When threatened it inflates itself with air and hisses, and may feign death. Also called puff adder in North America.
- Genus Heterodon, family Colubridae: several species
- Not dangerous to man, the western hognose snake uses a slightly toxic saliva to help subdue its prey.
- The eastern hognose snake is a medium sized snake that often startles people the first time they see one.
- Like most hognose snakes, the Mexican Hognose is considered slightly venomous but harmless to humans.
Definition of hognose snake in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan