(also hog-nosed snake)
Definition of hognose snake in English:
A harmless burrowing American snake with an upturned snout. When threatened it inflates itself with air and hisses, and may feign death. Also called puff adder in North America.
- Genus Heterodon, family Colubridae: several species
- Not dangerous to man, the western hognose snake uses a slightly toxic saliva to help subdue its prey.
- The eastern hognose snake is a medium sized snake that often startles people the first time they see one.
- Like most hognose snakes, the Mexican Hognose is considered slightly venomous but harmless to humans.
Definition of hognose snake in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.