Definition of hollyhock in English:
- Alcea rosea, family Malvaceae
- Plants that may require staking to hold their blooms high include Canterbury bells, hollyhocks, and verbascums, with foxgloves and delphiniums in the upper garden zones.
- They have grown everything from sunflowers, poppies and hollyhocks to corn, cotton, potatoes, coconuts and dandelions.
- Is there a spray I can use that will not harm visiting hummingbirds - the reason I plant the hollyhocks?
Middle English: from holy + obsolete hock 'mallow', of unknown origin. It originally denoted the marsh mallow, which has medicinal uses (hence, perhaps, the use of 'holy'); the current sense dates from the mid 16th century.
Definition of hollyhock in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.