nounBotany & Zoology
- A single type specimen upon which the description and name of a new species is based. Compare with syntype.More example sentences
- Additional character state information was also incorporated from descriptions of holotypes and additional fossil material.
- The holotype of this species might be a juvenile as there are larger specimens in our collection.
- Other skull elements are similar to those described in the holotype.
More definitions of holotypeDefinition of holotype in:
- The British & World English dictionary