Definition of holy of holies in English:
1The inner chamber of the sanctuary in the Jewish Temple in Jerusalem, separated by a veil from the outer chamber. It was reserved for the presence of God and could be entered only by the High Priest on the Day of Atonement.
- What did we read about when we read from the Torah and the prophets on that holy of holies of Jewish time?
- After the priests had established the ark of the covenant in the holy of holies, a cloud filled the Temple, and the glory of God's presence was so powerful that the priests were overwhelmed.
- He went into the temple and ate the bread in the holy of holies, that no person is to touch.
1.1A place regarded as most sacred or special: she had done the wrong thing, venturing into this holy of holies
More example sentences
- Do you have your sacred space, where you build your stuff, your holy of holies?
- For Holmes and Greene, this was an awe-inspiring event - a visit to the holy of holies, the inner sanctum, the behind-the-scenes epicenter of New England mineral collecting.
- She stood for five days in endless queues before managing to enter the holy of holies - the Department of Welfare offices in Deals House.
Definition of holy of holies in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan