- A war declared or waged in support of a religious cause.More example sentences
- Moreover, by papal decree, the monarchs of Spain and Portugal were commanded to wage a holy war to support this missionary endeavour.
- The Crusades are generally portrayed as a series of holy wars against Islam led by power-mad popes and fought by religious fanatics.
- In thousands of journal articles and scholarly monographs Christianity's holy wars have been probed, analyzed, and debated.
More definitions of holy warDefinition of holy war in:
- The British & World English dictionary