Definition of home-bred in English:
1Bred or raised at home.
- Among their horses is a home-bred yearling, which, Ronnie says, they have promised will be sensational.
- Glen and John also took the red rosette in the mare and foal section with Brows Marie and her ten-week-old home-bred foal Burlington Park Naomi.
- It must be a big wrench for him and the supporters to have a home-bred player leave the club.
1.1Lacking in worldly experience; unsophisticated.
- "The constitution is plain and intelligible, and is meant for the home-bred, unsophisticated understandings of our fellow-citizens."
- Had Ellis Bell been a lady or a gentleman accustomed to what is called 'the world,' her view of a remote and unreclaimed region, as well as of the dwellers therein, would have differed greatly from that actually taken by the home-bred country girl.
Definition of home-bred in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan