1Bred or raised at home.
- True to his ambition of having as many home-bred players in his squad as is feasible, the manager was delighted at being able to give five young players their first run.
- The first professional racquet match of any importance between home-bred talent was played yesterday afternoon in the court of the Racquet and Tennis Club.
- Shining light in the sheep section was Hannah Stenton of Thornton Dale, Pickering with a home-bred Blue Faced Leicester ewe.
1.1Lacking in worldly experience; unsophisticated.
- "The constitution is plain and intelligible, and is meant for the home-bred, unsophisticated understandings of our fellow-citizens."
- Had Ellis Bell been a lady or a gentleman accustomed to what is called 'the world,' her view of a remote and unreclaimed region, as well as of the dwellers therein, would have differed greatly from that actually taken by the home-bred country girl.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of home-bred in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.