noun[often treated as singular]
- Cooking and other aspects of household management, especially as taught at school.More example sentences
- When my mother was a home economics teacher she taught the full gamut of the subject, purchasing, costing, dietary values of food, how to shop in a butchers, greengrocers and fishmongers.
- The school offers a wide range of facilities including five computer suites, art rooms, practical areas for home economics, eight science laboratories and music rooms.
- I've never felt the need to make another metal coathook since leaving metalwork classes, but cookery and simple home economics would seem like a good thing to have in the brain.
More definitions of home economicsDefinition of home economics in:
- The British & World English dictionary