Definition of home key in English:
1 Music The basic key in which a work is written; the tonic key.
- Something of this sort is even more essential in long movements in binary form, where the simple return to the home key is not enough to bring a work to a satisfactory conclusion.
- The departures from diatonic home key occur primarily in the piano part.
- That same imagination in fact falls well short of a full-blooded serialism in which music would be entirely ‘unhomed,’ in which sounds repeat systematically but without reference to a home key.
2A key on a computer or typewriter keyboard that acts as the base position for one’s fingers in touch-typing.
- Remember to return your fingers to the home keys after each key press.
- She started on another typing course, but after several sessions was sent back to review the home keys.
- Now, as a fairly fast touch-typist, I find that having to move my hands from the home keys and then replace them at regular intervals adds a small but annoying increase to the time it takes to type up a document.
Definition of home key in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.