Definition of home key in English:
1 Music The basic key in which a work is written; the tonic key.
- Something of this sort is even more essential in long movements in binary form, where the simple return to the home key is not enough to bring a work to a satisfactory conclusion.
- The departures from diatonic home key occur primarily in the piano part.
- That same imagination in fact falls well short of a full-blooded serialism in which music would be entirely ‘unhomed,’ in which sounds repeat systematically but without reference to a home key.
2A key on a computer or typewriter keyboard that acts as the base position for one’s fingers in touch-typing.
- Remember to return your fingers to the home keys after each key press.
- She started on another typing course, but after several sessions was sent back to review the home keys.
- Now, as a fairly fast touch-typist, I find that having to move my hands from the home keys and then replace them at regular intervals adds a small but annoying increase to the time it takes to type up a document.
Definition of home key in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan