- The five-sided flat white rubber base next to which the batter stands and over which the pitcher must throw the ball for a strike. A runner must touch home plate after having reached all the other bases to score a run.More example sentences
- After touching home plate, the batter walks off the field as the hero of the winning team.
- Runs are scored when a batter reaches the home plate after running round all three bases, be it one-by-one or alternatively in one fell swoop after one hit.
- We'd stand at home plate facing the backstop, and he'd give us five pitches per turn.
More definitions of home plateDefinition of home plate in:
- The British & World English dictionary