nounUS & South African informal
1A young acquaintance from one’s own town or neighborhood, or from the same social background.
- Well, he's a homeboy, a neighbor, from San Rafael.
- I remember a conversation with a homeboy who lost a brother in the wars.
- Imagine the greatest high school basketball player of all time, practically a homeboy, playing in front of customers he created in two years of quasi-professional basketball at the high school level.
1.1(Especially among urban black people) a member of a peer group or gang.
- I first started talking with my homeboys about a ceasefire in the gang wars in 1989.
- I guess to their fellow homeboys this is hilarious and considered de rigueur, but to the rest of the world they seem clownish.
- He had been rumoured to have said that he missed his homeboys and the old times.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of homeboy in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.