1Schoolwork that a student is required to do at home.
- Pupils can do their homework onscreen at school and file it electronically for marking.
- A home learning project has encouraged them to help pupils with homework and attend workshops and meetings in school.
- The payments of £40 are only handed out in return for such pupils agreeing to attend school and hand in homework.
1.1Work or study done in preparation for a certain event or situation: he had evidently done his homework and read his predecessor’s reports
More example sentences
- We've done our homework, watched the tapes and hopefully prepared the squad as well as possible.
- She went on to say, that had the Government done their homework properly things would have been very different.
- When he did speak, he gave every appearance of having done his homework.
1.2Paid work carried out in one’s own home, especially low-paid piecework.
- Please do not be mislead into thinking that you can find 'paid homework'.
- Previously her energies went into raising her four children, two with special needs during which she took various part-time jobs and low-paid homework.
See schoolwork (usage).
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of homework in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.