Definition of hominoid in English:
A primate of a group that includes humans, their fossil ancestors, and the anthropoid apes.
- Superfamily Hominoidea: families Hominidae and Hylobatidae
- A first look at the jaw shows that it's different from all other fossil hominoids and more similar to large, existing apes.
- The fossil record is replete with evidence supporting a plant-eating, basically frugivorous way of life for ancestral anthropoids, particularly hominoids.
- All extant hominoids with the exception of highland gorillas are strongly frugivorous.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to hominoid primates.
- At present, there seems little evidence to support a view of selection specifically for ethanol detection or its utilization over the course of hominoid evolution.
- Fruit-eating also characterized a number of now extinct hominoid lineages.
- Right from the very first poster, visitors are thrown back millions of years to Africa, the only continent to yield a relatively continuous record of hominoid evolution.
Words that rhyme with hominoidarachnoid • sphenoid
Definition of hominoid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan