1Subject (milk) to a process in which the fat droplets are emulsified and the cream does not separate: (as adjective homogenized) homogenized milk
More example sentences
- For instance, homogenized milk is an emulsion made up of butterfat droplets dispersed in water.
- Milk may be homogenized to stop the cream from rising to the top.
- Not all whipping cream has been homogenised, but it is always pasteurised.
1.1 Biology Prepare a suspension of cell constituents from (tissue) by physical treatment in a liquid.
- Embryogenic tissues were homogenized to a fine powder in liquid nitrogen.
- Total RNA preparations were made as described in Ashburner, except that tissues were homogenized directly, without previous grinding in liquid nitrogen.
- Small numbers of viable streptococci were found in lymph nodes and spleen when these tissues were homogenized and cultured.
2Make uniform or similar.
- The flip side is that Zambian society has become more homogenized.
- This is not easy, because as a society we are homogenized, scattered and systematically alienated from the landscapes and communities that nurtured us in our youth.
- It's an odd thing to say, but Tokyo is the most homogenized society I've ever seen, especially coming from Toronto where everything is so diverse.
- Example sentences
- Scheduled for completion in early 2001, the room will comprise more than 4,000 square feet and house three high temperature short time pasteurization systems, including standardizers, homogenizers and blending systems.
- Two high temperature short time pasteurizing systems, which include separators and homogenizers, handle 8,000 gallons of milk per hour and 6,500 gallons of by-products per hour.
- The arterial samples were kept on ice and were homogenized in water using a Potter Elvehjem homogenizer.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.