A tree of the pea family with long branched thorns, although a thornless variety has been cultivated and is typically grown as an ornamental for its fernlike foliage.
- Genus Gleditsia, family Leguminosae: several species, in particular the North American G. triacanthos, the pods of which contain a sweet pulp
More example sentences
- American elm, honey locust, and box elder line the small creek, whose waters ultimately flow into the Iowa River.
- When you're here, head straight to the honey locust tree, which stood right next to our 16th president on that cold, fateful day in November 1863.
- These extinct American herbivores once dispersed the seeds of such big-fruited plants as honey locust, Kentucky coffee tree, and Osage orange, all of which produce fruits that no native animal today regards as food.
More definitions of honey locustDefinition of honey locust in:
- The British & World English dictionary