- 1A sweet, sticky substance excreted by aphids and often deposited on leaves and stems.More example sentences
- Like mealy bugs, aphids excrete honeydew which gives leaf surfaces a shiny appearance and supports the formation of sooty mold.
- Feeding on a milkweed leaf, tiny aphids (some winged, some wingless) are ‘tended’ by an ant, which feeds on the sweet honeydew excreted by the aphids.
- Most notably, the insect excretes a sticky honeydew that covers the leaves and fruit and promotes the growth of black sooty molds.
- 1.1 • literary An ideally sweet substance.More example sentences
- Next he felt a maid's sweet lips of honeydew kissing him.
- 2 (also honeydew melon) A melon of a variety with smooth pale skin and sweet green flesh.More example sentences
- Lutein is found in spinach, leeks, peas, kiwi fruits, black grapes and romaine lettuce, while rich sources of zeaxanthin include sweetcorn, red peppers, nectarines, papaya and honeydew melon.
- Sweetcorn, red peppers, nectarines, papaya and honeydew melon are good sources.
- The other day I wanted to make a tropical salsa with pineapple, honeydew melon, cantaloupe, red onion and cilantro as a side dish.
More definitions of honeydewDefinition of honeydew in:
- The British & World English dictionary