Definition of hooded seal in English:
A seal with a gray and white blotched coat, found in the Arctic waters of the North Atlantic. The male has a nasal sac that is inflated into a hood during display.
- Cystophora cristata, family Phocidae
- In the north Atlantic, harp seals and hooded seals, both ice-breeding species, already migrate to the ice edge in summer and currently form a part of the polar bear's diet.
- In many species, the nose has been transformed into a display organ, such as the fleshy knob on the snout of the gharial, the inflatable sac of the hooded seal, and the swollen nasal appendage of the proboscis monkey.
- Most of the hooded seal population is distributed in the North Atlantic including the waters around the Maritime provinces, Newfoundland, and into the Gulf of St. Lawrence.
Definition of hooded seal in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan