A salmon-pink Eurasian bird with a long down-curved bill, a large erectile crest, and black and white wings and tail.
- Upupa epops, the only member of the family Upupidae
More example sentences
- Seemingly invisible on our horses we rode amongst azure-winged magpies, great bustard, hoopoes and a hundred other species of birds.
- Black and white bands cross the hoopoe's wings, back and tail.
- There were birds everywhere, of all types - hoopoes, wagtails, tits, finches, and sparrows and swallows nesting in the beams of the house; there were cuckoos singing by day and nightjars by night.
mid 17th century: alteration of obsolete hoop, from Old French huppe, from Latin upupa, imitative of the bird's call.
Definition of hoopoe in:
- The British & World English dictionary