- (In the southern US and Caribbean) a stew of rice with black-eyed peas, often also containing bacon and red peppers.More example sentences
- Some Americans, particularly in the South, eat hopping john, a dish made with black-eyed peas, to bring good luck in the New Year.
- I am going to serve roast pork and sauerkraut, hopping john, corn bread, and spinach in order to cover everything!
- Here's a hopping john recipe and information on the origin of black eyed peas.
More definitions of hopping johnDefinition of hopping john in:
- The British & World English dictionary