An American lizard that somewhat resembles a toad, with spiny skin and large spines on the head, typically occurring in dry open country. Also called horned toad.
- Genus Phrynosoma, family Iguanidae: several species, in particular the Texas horned lizard (P. cornutum) and the regal horned lizard (P. solare)
More example sentences
- Sea turtles, grizzly bears, piping plovers, flat-tailed horned lizards, manatees and pygmy owls are among the wildlife whose survival has already become more tentative on Norton's watch.
- By studying the horned lizards, scientists hope to better understand the complexity of the lizards' habitat, halt their steady decline, and find ways for man and reptile to coexist peacefully.
- In coastal regions of California, the ant is contributing to a sharp decline in the population of coastal horned lizards.
More definitions of horned lizardDefinition of horned lizard in:
- The British & World English dictionary