(also horn poppy)
Definition of horned poppy in English:
A Eurasian poppy with grayish-green lobed leaves, large flowers, and a long curved seed capsule.
- Genus Glaucium, family Papaveraceae: several species, in particular the yellow horned poppy (G. flavum), which has become naturalized in the US, especially along the coast from Massachusetts to Virginia
- Its odd common name of horned poppy refers to its almost foot-long curved seed pods that arch as they ripen.
- My last stars of the fall garden are the horned poppies, Glaucium flavum and Glaucium grandiflorum.
- You may also find yellow horned poppies, crocuses and orchids, depending on the terrain.
Definition of horned poppy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan