Definition of horse mushroom in English:
A large edible mushroom with a creamy-white cap and pinkish-gray gills, found in grassland in both Eurasia and North America.
- Agaricus arvensis, family Agaricaceae, class Hymenomycetes
- Scotland produces all sorts of edible wild mushrooms - parasols, horse mushrooms, field mushrooms and wood blewits to name but a few - but you must be sure of what they are before eating them or you could end up in hospital or worse.
- We used to eat freshwater mussels from the river and cook the horse mushrooms that sprang up overnight in the fields, too, but she's right, I wouldn't do that now.
- While the horse mushroom will stain slightly yellow, it has a sweet odor that separates it immediately from its emetic cousins, and the base of its stem does not stain yellow like the others.
Definition of horse mushroom in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan