Definition of horsefly in English:
noun (plural horseflies)
A stoutly built fly, the female of which is a bloodsucker and inflicts painful bites on horses and other mammals, including humans.
- Genus Tabanus, family Tabanidae: numerous species
- A bite from a horsefly can be very painful, can take a long time to heal and can lead to an infection.
- Try to avoid camping near water, such as ponds and swamps where insects such as mosquitoes and horseflies are commonly found.
- The horsefly's larva spirals up and down through soft mud, creating a cylindrical column in which it pupates.
Definition of horsefly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.