Definition of horsehide in English:
1The skin of a horse.
- The survivors built boats out of horsehides and drifted across the mouth of Mobile Bay on their way to the Texas coast where the last of them would eventually wreck.
- Honestly, if you gave this kid a pistol and told him not to shoot this stallion, within ten seconds you'd have one horsehide riddled with bullet holes.
- Rusty turned out to be a personable fellow who loved to work horsehide into trusty tools to tote handguns.
1.1Leather made from the skin of a horse.
- Neither will I chew tanned horsehide until it becomes soft and pliable for the shoes of a desert scavenger!
- It's easy to color, virtually as long-lasting as horsehide - I know of plenty of 50-year-old cowhide holsters still serviceable - but soaks up water like a sponge if unfinished.
- Yang Maoyuan commanded attention more quietly - with an enormous ball covered in horsehide and sporting a horse head and tail, and two smaller but equally bloated blue-dyed sheep turning on pedestals.
2 informal A baseball.
[so named because, until replaced by cowhide in late 20th century, the traditional covering of a baseball was horsehide]
- He walked toward the mound where once Babe Ruth pitched, where Bill Lee ordered the horsehide to stay inside the yard, where Pedro Martinez stuffed the Wild Bull of the Bronx, Don Zimmer.
- But with the football season winding to a close, fantasy owners' minds have started turning from the gridiron to the diamond, from the pigskin to the horsehide.
- This would no longer be the case if James (now a consultant for the Red Sox) could be convinced to turn his attention away from the horsehide sphere for awhile and produce a new magnum opus, the Bill James Political Abstract.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India