Definition of horseshoe crab in English:
A large marine arthropod with a domed horseshoe-shaped shell, a long tail-spine, and ten legs, little changed since the Devonian.
- Class Merostomata, subphylum Chelicerata: four species, in particular the North American Limulus polyphemus
- Many arthropods are also present including the horseshoe crab Mesolimulus and the crayfish Mecochirus.
- Where space permits, oysters and jingle shells sometimes anchor themselves to the horseshoe crab.
- The horseshoe crab, which is not really a crab but more closely related to scorpions and spiders, has been described as an armored box that moves.
Definition of horseshoe crab in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.