Definition of horticulture in English:
The art or practice of garden cultivation and management.
- To celebrate its bicentenary it has created seven historical gardens to show how horticulture has evolved over the last 200 years.
- The Government must take immediate steps to protect wildlife on peat bogs and to signal an end to peat use in gardening and horticulture.
- Even our resident neighbourhood expert, a woman with a degree in horticulture, was not very useful.
- Example sentences
- Charlie Nardozzi is senior horticulturist at National Gardening.
- According to Michael Dirr, horticulturist with the Department of Horticulture at the University of Georgia, the flowers are magnificent, but the plant is a headache for the rest of the year.
- Georgiana Marshen is a master horticulturist and freelance garden writer.
Late 17th century: from Latin hortus 'garden', on the pattern of agriculture.
Words that rhyme with horticulturesilviculture
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.