noun (plural horti sicci /ˈhôrtī ˈsikī, ˈsikē/)
- An arranged collection of dried plants; a herbarium.More example sentences
- Each hortus siccus she sent was remarkable for the precision both of mounting and description.
- My business was to collect specimens as for a hortus siccus; not to cull flowers as for an anthology.
- Although still young, he has evinced powers of a nature very unusual in men whose lives, like his own, have been mainly devoted to the hortus siccus of classical erudition.
late 17th century: Latin, literally 'dry garden'.
More definitions of hortus siccusDefinition of hortus siccus in:
- The British & World English dictionary