noun(often as modifier hot-button) North American • informal
- A topic or issue that is highly charged emotionally or politically: the hot-button issue of nuclear waste disposalMore example sentences
- Crime is the hot button issue of modern politics, generating more heat than any other topic.
- Even on the hot button issue of crime, the Democrats managed to pull even in the last decade.
- People don't think that politics can be absolutely hilarious, and getting involved politically doesn't have to be about arguing about hot button issues.
More definitions of hot buttonDefinition of hot button in:
- The British & World English dictionary