Definition of house brand in English:
1A brand name used exclusively by a retailer (or a selected group of retailers) for a product or line of products that are typically sold for prices lower than that of comparable items with manufacturer brand names.
- Last year, the supermarket needed a new soft drink quickly for its house brand.
- The company founders' descendants have collectively owned the licence to manufacturer mattresses and house brand bedding in Australia for more than 60 years.
- Diphenhydramine is found in many over-the-counter products, including house brand allergy pills.
1.1A product bearing a brand name used by the retailer and sold for a lower price: don’t get the expensive coffee, get the house brand
More example sentences
- Premium branded milk is always higher than house brands.
- The brands were expensive, the basic house brands were inexpensive.
- How can I compare price on a house brand if I don't have that brand name to stack it up against?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia