A red-breasted brown finch, now common from Canada to Mexico and sometimes regarded as a pest.
- Carpodacus mexicanus, family Fringillidae
More example sentences
- The clotheslines are adjacent to our vegetable and flower gardens (not to mention attendant weeds!) which I noticed were alive with catbirds, song sparrows, robins, a purple finch, house finches and goldfinches.
- The whole backyard gang composed of those mentioned above, plus house finches, chickadees, goldfinches, titmice, grackles, redwings, and blue jays start around 5 pm with their bedtime snacks.
- By the way, I've been called to task for not mentioning that safflower seed is very popular with cardinals, chickadees, blue jays, doves, house finches, wrens, titmice and even bluebirds.
Definition of house finch in:
- The British & World English dictionary