(also house of ill repute)
noun• archaic or • humorous
- A brothel.More example sentences
- For its madam, it's a reputable house of ill repute, the seemingly incongruous respectable brothel.
- Wandering down the stairs of the high-class restaurant you enter the darkened caverns of a former house of ill repute, pictures of working girls adorn the walls and the alcoves where they plied their trade remain untouched.
- As immigrants streamed into the outskirts of Buenos Aires during the 1880s, many came toward the houses of ill repute.
More definitions of house of ill fameDefinition of house of ill fame in:
- The British & World English dictionary