(also house fly)
Definition of housefly in English:
noun (plural houseflies)
A common small fly occurring worldwide in and around human habitation. Its eggs are laid in decaying material, and the fly can be a health hazard due to its contamination of food.
- Musca domestica, family Muscidae
- Only the Cyclorrapha, which includes Drosophila and the common housefly, Musca domestica, have a bicoid gene.
- The diverse group of fly species called schizophorans includes houseflies, fruit flies, and flesh-burrowing blowflies.
- You probably will recognize some of the suspects: horsefly/deer fly, stable fly, housefly, black fly, hornfly, face fly, culicoides, and mosquito.
Definition of housefly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.