- 1Gods presiding over a household, especially (in Roman History) the lares and penates.More example sentences
- The Romans had personal household gods or spirits called ‘lares’ which were worshipped every day at home.
- This one is a New Year poem, called Lares Et Penates, inspired by the Roman concept of household gods.
- Again legend tells us that the Swallow was sacred to the Penates or household gods, and therefore to injure one would be to bring wrath upon your own house.
- 1.1Possessions held in esteem: the Fairley household gods—portraits and an assortment of silverMore example sentences
- And pay *plenty* of adoration to my household gods, whatever they may be.
More definitions of household godsDefinition of household gods in:
- The British & World English dictionary