- 1The beginning of construction of a new house.More example sentences
- These were orders for manufacturers, M1B money supply, housing start applications, stock prices and average monthly working hours in the manufacturing sector, the council said.
- Out of the seven components making up the index, only housing start applications were up from the previous month.
- With the recent pace of new-home sales running faster than that of housing starts, new home construction may yet have some potential for further gains in coming months.
- 1.1 (housing starts) The number of new houses begun during a particular period, used as an indicator of economic conditions.More example sentences
- For very short lead times, the monthly Census figures on building permits accurately predict housing starts, which become construction put in place over the next several months.
- New housing starts slowed at the beginning of this year, reflecting the slowdown in blueprint sales a few months earlier.
- This is partly because of the way that housing starts - China's proxy for floor space under construction - are reported.