Definition of humanitarian in English:
- The clear intention was to kill civilians gathered for food aid and to disrupt humanitarian relief.
- He suggested duties would involve reconstruction, health care and humanitarian aid.
- It joined a convey of 23 ambulances and nine lorries packed with humanitarian aid.
- You know, both sides have been calling this a humanitarian disaster.
- Figuring out how to apply the laws governing property and commercial activity are among the most complicated tasks in a humanitarian crisis.
- Pressure has been mounting for greater Western involvement to end violence and a humanitarian crisis in Darfur.
nounBack to top
- My thanks go to those aforementioned humanitarians in the town, the skilled hospital staff and, especially, to all my thoughtful friends and neighbours for their gifts and many good wishes.
- It was also described as cruel by Western humanitarians when the country tried to restrict its population growth with the introduction of a one-child policy.
- It seems to be that the humanitarian thing to do - and I know that most anti-war people consider themselves humanitarians.
The primary sense of humanitarian is ‘concerned with or seeking to promote human welfare.’ Since the 1930s, a new sense, exemplified by phrases such as the worst humanitarian disaster this country has seen, has been gaining currency, and is now broadly established, especially in journalism, although it is not considered good style by all. In the Oxford English Corpus, the second most common collocation of humanitarian is humanitarian crisis.
Words that rhyme with humanitarianagrarian, antiquarian, apiarian, Aquarian, Arian, Aryan, authoritarian, barbarian, Bavarian, Bulgarian, Caesarean (US Cesarean), centenarian, communitarian, contrarian, Darien, disciplinarian, egalitarian, equalitarian, establishmentarian, fruitarian, Gibraltarian, grammarian, Hanoverian, Hungarian, latitudinarian, libertarian, librarian, majoritarian, millenarian, necessarian, necessitarian, nonagenarian, octogenarian, ovarian, Parian, parliamentarian, planarian, predestinarian, prelapsarian, proletarian, quadragenarian, quinquagenarian, quodlibetarian, Rastafarian, riparian, rosarian, Rotarian, sabbatarian, Sagittarian, sanitarian, Sauveterrian, sectarian, seminarian, septuagenarian, sexagenarian, topiarian, totalitarian, Trinitarian, ubiquitarian, Unitarian, utilitarian, valetudinarian, vegetarian, veterinarian, vulgarian
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.