- They stripped him of his dignity and tried humiliating him by showing him throughout the world.
- If I'm out in public with a woman who is doing her best to embarrass or humiliate me, I'll walk away.
- I've known my friend for a long time, but she humiliates me in front of my other friends.
- Example sentences
- But public humiliation has become taboo at work, indicting the humiliator more than the humiliated.
- It wanted to humiliate the humiliators and to be seen to be morally in charge.
- Mixed with distress and shame is intense rage at his humiliators.
Mid 16th century (in the sense 'bring low'; earlier (late Middle English) as humiliation): from late Latin humiliat- 'made humble', from the verb humiliare, from humilis (see humble). The current sense dates from the mid 18th century.
Words that rhyme with humiliateaffiliate, ciliate, conciliate
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.