Definition of humiliate in English:
Make (someone) feel ashamed and foolish by injuring their dignity and self-respect, especially publicly: you’ll humiliate me in front of the whole school!
More example sentences
- They stripped him of his dignity and tried humiliating him by showing him throughout the world.
- If I'm out in public with a woman who is doing her best to embarrass or humiliate me, I'll walk away.
- I've known my friend for a long time, but she humiliates me in front of my other friends.
belittle, cause to feel small, cause to lose face
informal show up, put down, cut down to size, take down (a peg or two), put someone in their place, make someone eat crow
- Example sentences
- But public humiliation has become taboo at work, indicting the humiliator more than the humiliated.
- It wanted to humiliate the humiliators and to be seen to be morally in charge.
- Mixed with distress and shame is intense rage at his humiliators.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India