Definition of hummingbird in English:
A small nectar-feeding tropical American bird that is able to hover and fly backward, typically having colorful iridescent plumage.
- Family Trochilidae: many genera and numerous species, including the ruby-throated hummingbird (Archilochus colubris) of the eastern US, and the red-crowned Anna’s hummingbird (Calypte anna), found chiefly along the Pacific coast of the US
- Without the ability to hover, hummingbirds would not be able to obtain nectar from flowers.
- Like other birds, hummingbirds communicate through both auditory and visual signals.
- The principal characteristic that sets hummingbirds apart from all other birds is their mode of flight.
mid 17th century: so named because of the humming sound produced by the rapid vibration of the bird's wings.
Definition of hummingbird in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan