- A thick paste or spread made from ground chickpeas and sesame seeds, olive oil, lemon, and garlic, made originally in the Middle East.More example sentences
- Spread hummus or black bean purée on whole-grain bread slices and sprinkle with crushed tortilla chips.
- There was a huge spread of food, pasta salad, hummus, vegetables, and a big plate of chocolate chip cookies.
- Make a turkey sandwich on nutritious whole-grain bread, or spread some peanut butter or hummus on a bagel.
from Arabic ḥummuṣ.
More definitions of hummusDefinition of hummus in:
- The British & World English dictionary