Definition of hundredweight in English:
noun (plural same or hundredweights)
1.1 (also short hundredweight) US (In the US) equal to 100 lb avoirdupois (about 45.4 kg).
- The castings produced by them can vary in weight from ounces up to several hundredweights.
- As a harsh winter lingered, blocking the trade routes to the territory, prices rose steadily and eventually reached a hundred dollars for a hundredweight of flour.
- There's been years when the price differential is $8 or $10 a hundredweight.
1.2 (also metric hundredweight) (In the metric system) equal to 50 kg.
- Whether a metric hundredweight of wheat is exchanged for a gramme or a kilogramme of gold does not in the least depend upon conditions inherent in that wheat or gold.
- The St. Peter's bell, 24 tons in weight and with a clapper which alone weighs 16 metric hundredweight, is the largest swinging bell in the world.
- The letter described a celebration in a parish district where a calf of 3 metric hundredweight was roasted.
1.3 (also long hundredweight) (In the UK) equal to 112 lb avoirdupois (about 50.8 kg).
- It weighs about a hundredweight and it took two of us to get it back into place after it had been repaired.
- Her dad may have owned the business, she says, but he still carried hundredweights of coal on his back.
- Frank is pictured with a hundredweight of butter - or 224 packs - and that represents the weight he has shed in 12 months.
Definition of hundredweight in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.