Definition of hunger strike in English:
A prolonged refusal to eat, carried out as a protest, typically by a prisoner.
- When the meeting promised for Monday morning did not materialise, the detainees began a hunger strike.
- She's adamant that she'll begin an indefinite hunger strike once she reaches jail.
- In Turkish prisons eight people are on hunger strike in protest at prison isolation.
- Example sentences
- A spokesperson for the hunger striker said that Congress had given itself fat salaries and pensions while the needs of the vast majority of retired workers were constantly overlooked.
- With parents and siblings and spouse and children sitting around the hunger striker's bedside, he knew that the last thing he would do for them was to break their hearts and their happiness.
- He was jailed as a freedom rider, arrested as a war protester and, at the United Nations headquarters in New York, as a hunger striker against nuclear weapons.
Definition of hunger strike in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.