- US Small cakes of cornmeal dough that are quickly deep-fried.More example sentences
- In the southern states catfish fillets are usually dredged in cornmeal and fried, to be served with hush puppy and coleslaw.
- Quenelles are more appropriate to a fine-dining dinner plate than the classic spoon-dropped hush puppy, but the winning recipe was too moist to hold a quenelle shape.
- They have the smoothness of a beignet, the heft of a hush puppy, and they're spiced with cayenne pepper and little shreds of Italian ham.
More definitions of hush puppiesDefinition of hush puppies in:
- The British & World English dictionary