noun (plural same or Hutus or Bahutu /bəˈho͞oto͞o/)
A member of a Bantu-speaking people forming the majority population in Rwanda and Burundi. They are traditionally a farming people and were historically dominated by the Tutsi people; the antagonism between the peoples led in 1994 to large-scale ethnic violence, especially in Rwanda.
- Altogether some 800,000 ethnic Tutsis and moderate Hutus are estimated to have been killed in Rwanda's genocide.
- The Hutus and Tutsis have a longstanding history of ethnic differences, which has split not only Burundi, but extends into Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Tutsis and Hutus remain the two main ethnic groups.
Relating to the Hutu.
- However, he has convinced the area that he is the most important Hutu leader and the most credible representative of his people.
- And there is still one Hutu rebel group that refused to join the peace process.
- After the defeat of the regime two million Hutu refugees fled to neighbouring countries fearing retribution.
A local name.
Words that rhyme with HutuBasotho, Lesotho, Mobutu, Sotho, tutu
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Hutu in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.